Monday, July 8, 2013

The Fourth of July and goal is to not gain weight!


Dear Friends and Family,

It was a good week. Seemed short! We had an appointment with one of our investigators that we can never get appointments with. She's a single mom and she's SO busy. She always seems to be overwhelmed with something. But we had brought a member over to a lesson with her and she loved her! Sister Nichols invited her to dinner on the third with us. Then we were able to have a lesson with her! It was great! She actually was focused! She does have some concerns about prophets and authority, but we will work that out. I'm just excited we were able to teach her!

Last Pday we went to Goshen, which is where we meet for District Meeting. A Spanish branch meets in the building there. It's actually a warehouse and they just turned the inside into a church. It's so funny going there! I don't remember if I told you, but it seems kind of sketchy with all these guys in suits walking in there.

We met our new Mission President! President Cleveland. He's kind of famous. We went and he spoke to us and we were able to all have a chance to talk to him a little bit after. He's great! He's a lot overwhelmed, but he has some awesome plans! He wants to start a mission blog. He talked a lot about how soon we're going to be able to start using the Facebook thing. He still doesn't know when, but he said 3-6 months.

On the 4th, we went to a family's house. Their kids are older and were all there having a BBQ, but the couple wasn't involved, I guess they didn't know it was happening? So we got lasagna. On the 4th. It was good, but I don't think I've EVER had lasagna on the 4th of July. We had to be inside by 6 that night, so we did our Weekly Planning from 6-9. Yeah, weekly planning takes 3 hours every week. We do that on Thursday mornings usually. We did see some fireworks from the windows! I love the smell of fireworks though, and I couldn't smell them. I guess it's okay though, because I did get to see them.

We're working on getting a family history class during the week at our church building. It's something that's being talked about more and more, but we don't have a family history center here! The closest one is over an hour away. But it's something we want! We don't know how we're going to do it yet, but we will get something so we can get members and nonmembers there to learn about it.

Everyone has been giving us SO. Much. Food. Oh my word. So much. They send all the deserts home with us. Especially the bishop's wife. Every time we are there, she sends us home with all the desserts she has. And then MOM sent us a huge box of cookies. Ugh. I did NOT want to gain 15 pounds in my first transfer here!

... My pants still fit, I wore them a couple weeks ago to help a nonmember with her organic garden. And my skirts are still fitting. But really. It's ridiculous. And yesterday was fast Sunday. Which is fine, but with all that sugar staring at me all day, it was a struggle!

We went to a Less Active's house on Saturday. Her name is Jessica and she hasn't been to a church at all in 15 years. She said 2 Sundays ago, she went to a different church. It doesn't seem like I'd be excited about that, but I was! I'm glad she's TRYING! She feels like she'd be overwhelmed at our church, because of all the rules. She went to the other church, but she still referred to the LDS Church as "our" church and "my" church. I hope that she will soon be willing to learn about it again and try it! It would be so good for her!

Yesterday, we found Sue! She's an investigator that's been out of town for a couple of weeks. She said she hasn't been reading the Book of Mormon, but she still wants to meet. She wants to read, though! She was spending a lot of time out of town with family though. We will meet with her again on Thursday! Yay!

Tomorrow, we are going to meet with some NEW investigators we have. I think I told you about them before. They are the Catholic family that we met. The couple's names are Polo and Sarah. Polo is really interested in the Book of Mormon. I think he just wants to LEARN not CONVERT, but that's where it starts! He's hispanic and as he was reading the BoM, he had some concern with God cursing the Lamanites with "skin of blackness". I've heard about that a lot here, it's hard to explain to people. He said he feels bad just that GOD would say dark skin is a curse, or that He would curse someone with something he was born with. That's not what it is! But it's hard to explain to people that don't understand. Anyway, we will work on him. We're going to talk about the Apostasy because he's Catholic, and that's where the concerns really start. Without the Apostasy, we don't need a restoration. But there was an Apostasy which led to the Restoration!



I don't know if you can see it, but I have a giant bruise on my knee. I think it's from all this praying I do. Prayer Bruises. It happens.



The Fourth of July!

Independence Day!

#Patriotic

Love, Sister Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment