Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween and Fake Halloween


Dear Friends and Family,

This week was Halloween! Finally, October felt like forever and a day. Probably because my roommates all had Halloween decorations up since the day I got to Fishers. But they all got ripped down today! So it was so weird though. On the 30th we heard from an investigator that the Town of Fishers had rescheduled Halloween to Friday November 1 because it was supposed to rain. Isn't that ridiculous? When I was a kid, we trick-or-treated in 5 feet of snow! And we walked uphill both ways! Oh man, I'm getting old... :) But really, we still trick-or-treated in the snow. No way was snow going to get in the way of our Halloween festivities! But I guess here, in Indiana, they are a little wimpy ;)

We talked to a guy this week named Brad. He was a potential we had and he went to SUU a couple years ago for school. He knows so many Mormons and he knows a lot about the doctrine. He's seen General Conference... He read a little bit of the Book of Mormon.... He even LOOKS like a Mormon! But he's just all about logic and he says we can't trust our feelings.... Maybe we'll try to teach him. I'm not sure how much potential he really has, but he's definitely willing to talk to us. We talked for an hour and a half probably.

We played Family Feud with the Young Women. And you know which family won? The one with the missionaries of course! It was us, a couple of the YM leaders, and a couple of the youth... So that's probably why... But we still won! Apparently none of the youth knew what Family Feud was though.... I really am getting old...?

My District Leader's birthday was this week. One of the members threw a party for him. And then another member made Cafe Rio for him for his birthday. And we got to enjoy both! So it's all good! Just so everyone knows... My birthday is next Sunday. And I want letters! Please, please send me letters! I love them! I want my mailbox full of them! 12188 Windsor West Dr. Fishers, IN 46038!

We went to this 100 years of Scouting broadcast thing. And it's so good that we did, we actually weren't going to. But one of the members of our ward told us there was a Less Active lady in the kitchen who had been helping with refreshments that wasn't comfortable going into the chapel and she felt like she should tell us. So we went and talked to her for a long time, we missed probably half the broadcast, but then one of the scout leaders came in and told us to come watch the best part, and she came! I'm so excited! That one step is really hard for a lot of Less Active members. She's in the Noblesville ward, so I haven't seen her again, but I'm so excited we did that!

Real Halloween: WE GOT A CAR! The Car Shepherd, Elder Hodges, called on Halloween morning and told us we got another car. So now we don't have to share! We have a Chevy Cruze and the other sisters have a Toyota Corolla, both 2014. I love the Cruze because it turns really well and Sister London doesn't have to get out and back me nearly as often! Love it! And it was raining that day... It was perfect! Then later that night we painted pumpkins with a member. We painted some pacman ghosts and a pacman. They were cute! 



Fake Halloween: We partied all night! Well, until 9 o clock curfew, that is. We ate chili and drank hot chocolate at a members house. It was fun, and there were a couple nonmembers there that we got to talk to. Then we went to the bishop's house and had homemade donuts.... Just like home! I loved it. My family was all in Disneyland, which would've been a little better, but I'm on a mission, so that's about as good as it gets :) It was a lot of fun!



Saturday was probably one of the best day of my life. We got to see a baptism in the early afternoon of a girl that the other sisters taught. And then, right after that, we went down to Greenwood with a member and got to see HEIDI get baptized! It was so cool! We almost got lost and wouldn't have made it, but we did! And I'm so grateful we did! I had to call Sister Mayberry and ask for the address because I guess she gave me the wrong one. But we made it! We went to this hospital where they do physical therapy and they have a pool there. So they wheeled Heidi into the middle of a big metal platform and lowered it with three Priesthood holders on it and water came gushing over it. They lowered it until she was floating and Brother Wilde was holding her head out of the water and the other men were holding her legs. Then he baptized her. It was the sweetest experience. And I am so glad I got to be there! I love her! And I got to see Sister Mayberry again, I love her too, and I really miss her! And before the opening prayer Heidi put her finger on her nose. At lessons we would always play Nose Goes for the prayer. I laughed, I miss that too! Ah, it was so cool!



Yesterday we went to a going away party for a family that is moving to California and that was a lot of fun too. We had a spontaneous jam session with Elder Stucki's ukelele and one of the members that majored in Piano Performance played the COOLEST and HARDEST song ever!
This ward is so cool!


For my birthday Don and Leah Ann are getting baptized and then Leah Ann is going to speak at a fireside called "Why I Believe" where converts tell their conversion story. It's going to be the BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

Love Sister Kimberly

1 comment: