Monday, December 23, 2013

It.... Doesn't Look Like Christmas Anymore!



Dear Friends and Family,


So.... It rained this week. And one day we woke up and ALL the snow was gone. Not even a little left. So I guess we won't be having a white Christmas this year! But I hear it's nice and snowy out West! Just so you know... You can keep it!


On Tuesday we had to run to the Post Office to send our Christmas packages home to our families. There were so many miracles involved in this package-sending thing! First of all, everything fit inside! Well, not everything... But all the stuff for Christmas and a few more things I've been needing to send home. And I got it all taped up. Then we went to the Post Office where the line was about forever long. So we stood at the back right behind this older couple. The older lady looked back at me and she started staring at my nametag. It seemed like she was looking at it for 5 minutes! And then she touched it and said "I like your...." And kind of trailed off. It was weird. But anyways, after that, I offered to help her with her packages, like a good little missionary, but she declined. Bummer. So then I stood in line some MORE! And when I was pretty much at the front of the line, this man behind me touched my shoulder and said, "excuse me..." And when on to tell me that he couldn't help but notice my CTR ring. He asked what it said, so I told him it said CTR, and he asked what it meant. So then I got the hint! This was a missionary moment! So I went on to tell him that I'm a Mormon and that we use the acronym CTR to stand for Choose the Right just to remind us to follow God and do the right things in life. After that, we had this great conversation! He asked if I was from Indiana, I told him I was from Utah, he asked if I was here on a mission, I told him yes and I loved it. It was great! Unfortunately, we had to stop talking because it was my turn to send my package. But isn't that cool! I've heard all kinds of stories about people noticing CTR rings and other Mormon stuff, but it's never happened to me! Until now :)


We showed April the MormonMessage about Stephanie. If you haven't seen it, here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHDvxPjsm8E (Don't worry, we're allowed onto the Mormon Channel!) It's my FAVORITE MormonMessage. It is SO GOOD! Watch it! I promise, you will love it! April loved it! Stephanie and April remind me of each other a lot.


We went to the home of one of the women in the ward whose husband isn't exactly active in the church. We go there every once in a while just to check up and make sure she's doing well, but her husband came in in the middle of our conversation. He was so nice and we talked to him for a long time! And then the Sister invited us to stay for dinner because we didn't have anyone feeding us. So we talked with him some more. Not about the Church, but about other things. And we also talked with their 13 year old daughter for a long time. And I love her! She is going to be a perfect fellowshipper for a 13 year old recent convert that just moved into our ward from the 2nd ward! It was so COOL!


One of the Elders in the 2nd ward had a seizure the other day. It was so scary, we were going over to the gym to exercise and the Sisters ran out of the gym and said there was an ambulance over by the Elders apartment. So we walked over there, and the gurney was right in front of their door. We had a hunch it was Elder Madsen because he's diabetic and this happened once about four months ago. But we weren't sure what was going on. We stood outside of their apartment and said a prayer and soon enough the other three Elders came out and told us that he had had a seizure, but that he was fine now. It was scary!! Ambulances aren't a good sign. BUT! He's fine now, so all is well!


We always have so much fun with the Elders. We are just the best missionaries this ward could have! I love it! People feed us together a lot and we seriously bring the party! We had so much fun at a member's house this week. Elder Cronin was talking about how he's a robot... And I said some funny stuff..... We were all laughing so hard by the end!


We had our Christmas mission conference and I loved it! So much fun! I love seeing all my missionary friends... We had spiritual stuff, of course. And then we ate and played cheese-y Christmas games! And we had a talent show. Missionaries are AWESOME! In case you didn't know! At the end, the Assistants got up and were rapping while another Elder beat boxed. They were rapping about Purdue and IU and which one was better. And then they had another Elder come up and do parkour. It was so cool! Elder Callison tried dancing. He wasn't that good at it, but that's okay. It was funny! Hahaha and it turns out Purdue won the battle. And we got this CD that an RM in one of the wards made. It is such a good CD and it has the cutest little shoutouts from family on it. My mommy even recorded one! So, here's a shoutout to you, Mom! I love you! I can't wait to see you on Christmas! 




April passed her interview! That was good! And the most awesome family got baptized on Saturday! The Akhauri family, they are from India and the 2nd ward Sisters have been working with them since July. It has been so long, but the entire family finally made it to baptism. And guess what else! They're moving into our ward next week. I am so excited! I love them! There were SO many people at their baptism. Lots of missionaries, friends, ward members.... It was such a touching experience.


Sister Tenney had us over and made us Cafe Rio pork yesterday. I love it when people do that for me! It's my favorite. I don't know what I'd do without it. Probably go crazy with withdrawals or something silly like that. And then we went CAROLING! I love Christmas on the mission. Maybe I can sneak into caroling with missionaries when I get home because that was the best thing of my life! I loved it! It wasn't too cold, because it isn't snowy. And there were a lot of us AND we got some members of our ward to play the trombones and saxophone for us. It was a full on band! So cool! We even got a potential out of it and told this lady we would come sing for her. Seriously, this was one of my favorite experiences! 


Well! It's almost Christmas! I hope you're all having a good holiday! I love you! And remember: Keep Christ in Christmas! He is the reason for the season! 


(Sorry I got a little cheese-y on you there. But you get the idea! Christ is important, and it's easy to forget about Him through all the crazy hustle and bustle of the holidays. But try to remember what you're celebrating!) 


Love, Sister Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment