Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas



Dear Friends and Family,

So this week was pretty good! 

We talked to April and Jonah about teaching Jalen, her 12 year old son. He really wanted to be taught, but I had this feeling like it might be better to let the Elders teach him instead. I asked them about it, and they both felt the same way. So unfortunately, we had to give up our new investigator! I'm sure it's for the best, but it's still kind of a bummer! So the Elders had their first lesson with him this week too, and they said it went really well! They went and taught Jalen while we taught April and Jonah, which is nice, it took a lot of the pressure off of Jalen. So April decided she would like to get baptized with her son, so that'll be cool! It just means we have to move her date back a couple of weeks. It's okay, we're looking at December 28 instead!

We were out walking to a couple of different apartments the other day and I saw this guy out getting his mail, and Sister Oskins hasn't really had a lot of opportunity to personal contact much, so I wanted to show her how it's done! I got up the courage to talk to him, but I couldn't understand him AT ALL! His name was Sainandi, or something like that. It took him three times saying it for me to understand. I also know he's Buddhist and he has a sushi shop somewhere. I tried to teach him a little bit about how we pray, like to God, but that was about as far as we got. It was kind of hard to talk to him. But after we left Sister Oskins was SO EXCITED that we talked to somebody. It's funny, she gets excited about the littlest things.

We had our ward's Relief Society dinner this week, and it was so much fun! We did it at the same members' house that had us over for Thanksgiving. She loves to throw parties. But it was such a miracle because just a few hours before this, Sister Oskins and I were talking about how we could get back into contact with one of our investigators that we had recently lost contact with. We thought about stopping by there soon, but then I didn't feel like we should. I think Sister Oskins was a little frustrated by that, but then it was okay because she was at the RS Christmas party! And I wouldn't even have known because there were SO MANY PEOPLE there, but I wanted to sit by Sister Jones who was the one to introduce us to her, so I went over to sit by her, then Becky was right there! It was a miracle! I love her so much too, so we got to talk through the whole dinner. It was great! And that party was perfect, there were a ton of nonmembers there! And I even got to talk to most of them, I think. I loved it!

Oh, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings this week, and Elder Woodward, an Elder in the 2nd ward, decided he wanted to do the Blazin' Challenge. So I guess the rules were that he had to eat 12 Blazin' wings in under 6 min and he would win a free t-shirt and he'd get his picture on a board or something. So they put this big, red, flashing light in the middle of our table and..... He did it! I guess there's another crazy experience that I can tell when I get home from my mission.

I found out people here really are babies about the weather. Everyone was talking about some really bad storm that was supposed to come in overnight. Then we woke up and there was hardly any snow. Like, I could still see blades of grass poking out. People here are silly. That was a really tame storm to me!



April and Jonah had their wedding on Saturday. The ward really stepped up to help us! Members offered cake, refreshments, decorations, piano-playing.... So it turned out not to be a disaster after all! It was a little quirky, I think that's a good word for it! But it was cute, and April loved it, so I guess that's what matters! And April's best friend was there, and she seemed really interested in the Church! Unfortunately, she lives in Michigan, but hey! No matter who teaches her, it's fine, as long as she learns the gospel from somebody.



Elder Cronin licked a frozen pole. Why? Who knows, probably to be just like that kid on that one Christmas movie.

Yesterday we got a car! FINALLY! Too bad we didn't get to keep the 2014 Toyota Corolla and got a 2011 Corolla instead. I was pretty bummed about that, but I guess we have a car, and that's what matters.

We got way lost in downtown Indianapolis last night. We were trying to get to Why I Believe, but my GPS had no idea where we wanted to go, so we stopped and asked this guy for directions. He was really nice. So we got to the fireside about an hour late. Mostly we just got to say hello to all our missionary friends and watch the Christmas Devotional. But it was fun anyways!


 Part of the 25 days of Christmas we sent her

Love, Sister Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment