Monday, January 13, 2014

Not Much to Say



Dear Friends and Family,
So here's the deal... I just emailed last Wednesday and we haven't gotten much done since then because of doctor appointments and other things.... So... I was thinking about what I wanted to share with all of you this week and I decided... I'm going to tell you all about the things I've been studying! Since I never really get to do that!

But that doesn't mean this is going to be boring. Keep reading, my studies are cool!

I was reading a little about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the things we have to do to get to heaven, meaning have faith, repent, be baptized and keep covenants, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. And I ran across this scripture. 2 Nephi 9:23. It says "and he commanded all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God."

What does it mean to have PERFECT FAITH?!

Now turn to Alma 32:21 "And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things..."
The definition of faith is that it's not perfect!

So then I did what I always do when I want an answer to something that's going to take a lot of thought and pondering... I whipped out my handy dandy sticky notes to put on my wall!

What does it mean to have perfect faith?!

Needless to say, I studied it for quite a long time. I studied faith a lot!

And as we all know, faith leads to action!
The first conclusion I came up with was that maybe having perfect faith means that we can act on our faith perfectly. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that no one ever acts on their faith perfectly. Everyone in this whole world is a hypocrite. Not because they want to be, but because we are human!
But eventually, I did learn a little about what I think perfect faith is....
But....

I'm not going to tell you.
Why?
Because I want you to find out what having perfect faith means to you! So there's your commitment.
Will you study to learn what perfect faith means in your life? And then will also write me a letter or email and tell me what you learned?

I know that as you do it, you will learn how you can strengthen your faith in Jesus Christ. It's so interesting, because my whole life, I always thought I just needed to have faith and then I was set. But as I've learned about what it means to endure to the end, I've learned that we have to continue to strengthen it! But sometimes, it's hard to know how to do it. Sometimes it FEELS like you've reached your limit of faith and you can't possibly find more. But it always comes. And as you study about how to have perfect faith, you will learn and understand more fully HOW you can do that personally!
I've also been studying a little bit about the what, why, how, and feelings of worship! It's been so cool! I studied this story, I think it's in the beginning of Alma 32 where these poor people are thrown out of their churches because they aren't dressed well enough. And so they're worried because they aren't allowed to worship God! And Alma tells them that they can worship anywhere.
 
So it got me thinking, how can I worship God in my life?
In True to the Faith it talks about how worshiping God means serving Him and taking part in his ordinances. It means covenanting with Him and praying to Him. It means aligning your will with His.
Mostly I was thinking about the feeling of worship. And I imagined the feelings that I have when I'm at church, particularly the feeling I have when I'm partaking of the sacrament. I love that feeling. When I take the sacrament I am repenting of the things I've done that drew me away from God during that week. I don't know how to describe what I feel at that time, but I do know that that's what I call worship. So something I'm striving to do is learn how I can worship daily, not just when I'm at church or praying, but also when I am out doing my thing every day! Because that is how I will understand more who God is and how I can be like Him!






Anyways, sorry for the rant about spiritual stuff. But hey, I don't preach to you people very often, so this won't kill you!

Remember to send me what you learn about perfect faith!
Love you all!

Love, Sister Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment