Monday, January 27, 2014

Polar Vortex



Dear Friends and Family,

I don't really know why it's called a Polar Vortex, but.... It's pretty dang cold out here in the Midwest. Or maybe it's just Indiana. Who knows... I sure don't. But I do know that I am freezing!



Taking a picture of Sister Ingram taking a picture of Sister Oskins taking a picture. 
Inception! :)



It was a pretty good week!! I got to train at District meeting and it was probably the best training I've ever given! I wasn't nervous or anything. I didn't even prepare a TON because I didn't have a lot of time, but I did make cute little handouts for everyone to help them all follow up with their commitments! And I feel like it went really well! So yay! I'm getting better!

We found a possible service opportunity, we stopped at this little gallery because Sister Oskins thought they might need help with something. They didn't, but there was a lady there who is on some board for the Town of Fishers dealing with art or something and I guess they might be looking for volunteers. We will see what happens! So we had a little time before dinner and so we stopped by April's to see how she was doing. It was good to see her, I feel like it's been a long time since I've seen her! She had these cool little window markers that they used when they were stuck inside because of the cold to draw on their window, so I asked and drew something too! It was a fun idea! So we set up a time when we could come teach them Family Home Evening and we went to dinner. The member feeding us that night invited Becky over for dinner and it was so fun! We ate together and then we taught her a lesson. It was so good, probably one of my favorite lessons I've ever taught. It felt exactly the way that I used to imagine lessons before I came on my mission. She is on a spiritual journey and I'm excited that we get to be here to help her through it! She's praying a lot and we are sending her scripture texts every day to help her read the Book of Mormon. So things are going well for her! Becky brought us flowers too! So we could have a hint of spring in our dreary winter-y lives!



I made chicken salad sandwiches this week! Isn't it a miracle?! Well, if you know me at all, you will know that that is a miracle. And it was good too! 

We met with a Less Active this week as well, and it's so hard when we meet with her. She always talks as if she knows everything going on in the ward so it SOUNDS like she's active, but I know she hasn't been to church in quite a while. It's just funny that way, and I don't know how to help her come back if she already thinks she's active. But oh well, we will continue to work with her the best we can!

There was a RS activity this week about women's health and depression. It was really good. One of the women in the ward just finished her Master's in some kind of psychology field, so she got together with another person working on her Master's and they made this presentation. It was good, and I think the women that came got a lot out of it! I know I learned a lot. Especially the difference between self-esteem and self-worth. Self-esteem is changing and it is given to us by the world's standards, but self-worth is constant, it never changes, and we have self worth because God is our Heavenly Father and He loves us! 

We taught Jaclyn and FINALLY made it through the First Vision and the rest of the Restoration lesson! Jaclyn is amazing, she has such a desire to come to know that this is true. We felt we needed to commit her to baptism because we had never done that. I was able to do that, and she said definitely if she came to know the Church was true! Baptismal commitments are my favorite things to do on my mission! Because this is the only time in my life when I'm going to be able to invite people to make covenants with God and be baptized! I love the Spirit I feel when I invite someone. And I know Jaclyn felt it too.


Speaking of baptismal commitments... I got to invite someone else to be baptized this week! We were delivering these newsletters to Less Active members in the ward, but one of the people on the list was an active member. We dropped by anyway and met someone at her house. Actually, she is living there with her new husband right now. This member is renting one of her rooms to a young couple for a while and when we came they were sitting together watching TV. So we chatted with Sister Honea and Alex for a while. Then we asked if we could share a message. We ended up sharing the Restoration to Alex and had Sister Honea share her experience coming to know this Church was true. She seemed really interested! And the Spirit was really strong! I have high hopes for her! I asked her if she would be baptized and... She said yes too!! :) We had a good week!

No one got to go to Church yesterday though. I don't know why, but it got cancelled. They said it was because it was supposed to be FREEZING cold, but yesterday was actually warmer than I've felt in weeks. The car said it was 40 degrees. That's warm compared to the single digits!! I don't know what they're thinking, but oh well I guess. Not much we can do about it. There's always next week.


I am excited for all of our investigators right now! They are all doing so well! I love them! 

Hope you all had a good week, too! I love you all!

Love, Sister Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. So who came up with the term Polar Vortex? I just wanna know! Haha She sounds so great, I just love Sister Kim!! :)

    ReplyDelete